The word BRAND is came from the Old Norse. Brand meaning “to burn,” which refers to the practice of producers burning their mark (or brand) onto their products.
In ancient times, in order to identify the owner of the livestock, cattle breeders used hot ironing in to order to identify the owner of the cattle and differentiate it from others.
We should remember two tricky words. Which will helps us to the meaning of Brand. First one is identify and another one is differentiate
What is a Brand?
According to AMA (American Marketing Association)
A brand is “name, term, sign, symbol, or design or a combination of them intended to identify the goods and services of one seller or group of sellers and to differentiate them from those of competition”
Basically, Branding is a promise to the customer by an organization. And we must remember that promise should fulfil in every single time.
So, A brand is a Set of expectations, memories, stories and relationships taken together!
Brand can be
- A name, term, sign, symbol, or design, or a combination of them.
- Intended to identify the goods and services of one seller or group of sellers.
- Differentiate goods and services from those of competitors.
- Creates a certain amount of awareness, reputation, prominence, and so on in the marketplace.
Brand Elements should be
- Different components that identifies and differentiates a brand
- Name, logo, symbol, package design, or another characteristic
- Can be based on people, places, things, and abstract images